Young Hawk swimmers grow

+Izzie+Bindseil+competes+in+the++Womens+100+yard+Butterfly+in+the+2014+Black+and+Gold+Intrasquad+meet+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+2014+at+the+CRWC.+The+Black+squad+defeated+the+Gold+squad%2C+86.5+-+85.5.+%28The+Daily+Iowan%2FJoshua+Housing%29
Izzie Bindseil competes in the Womens 100 yard Butterfly in the 2014 Black and Gold Intrasquad meet on Saturday, Oct. 2014 at the CRWC. The Black squad defeated the Gold squad, 86.5 – 85.5. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

By Jake Mosbach

When Meghan Lavelle and Rowan Hauber began their sophomore seasons as Hawkeye swimmers, they knew they’d have to work hard to top their wildly successful freshman campaigns in 2014-15.

And they were both more than willing to accept that challenge.

So far this season, the pair holds the team’s top-two times in both the 100 and 200 back. Hauber owns the 100 back (56.26), while Lavelle is second (57.43). When it comes to the 200 back, the two switch, with Lavelle first (2:04.11) and Hauber right behind her (2:04.27).

Both swimmers credit different factors to their fast start this season, factors coming from in the pool and out.

“Mentally, I’ve just been more content with the way I’m swimming this year,” Hauber said. “I’m more relaxed, and I’m having so much more fun with it.”

Lavelle believes that the strong performances are coming from the amount of determination being displayed not only by her but also the whole team in an effort to produce results when they matter most.

“I’ve just been focusing on the weight room more this year and focusing more on my technique in the water,” Lavelle said. “Sometimes, that won’t show, but in the long run, when it comes down to Big Tens and the ones that count, it’ll come together.”

Head coach Marc Long, who has noticed the improvement in the two, said that the wealth of experience from last year is behind their early season success.

“Things are familiar to them this year,” he said. “They’ve been around for a year, so now they can focus more on competing.”

The two come from different worlds. Lavelle hails from Chicago, graduating from Lane Tech High School. Hauber came to Iowa from the Northwest, graduating from Lakeridge High School in Tualatin, Oregon.

However, as they both maneuver their sophomore seasons, their mindsets couldn’t be more similar.

“This year, I came in wanting to better myself as a complete athlete, not just a swimmer,” Hauber said. “Last year, I was just set on a certain time that I aimed for. The nerves are gone now.”

“This year has just been a lot easier to approach,” Lavelle said. “We don’t have the ‘freshman nerves’ anymore, and that makes it so much easier to race better.”

Last year, Hauber swam to an NCAA B qualifying time in the 100 back. Her time in the event ranks seventh in school history. In the 200 back, she posted the eighth-best time in school history.

Hauber’s freshman year accomplishments included NCAA B qualifying times in the 100 and 200 back as well as participating on the school-record holding 200-free relay and 400-medley relay teams.

The accomplishments put the duo on the map, but they also earned Lavelle and Hauber a sense of leadership this year.

“We can help the freshmen out a lot this year,” Lavelle said. “We used to be in their shoes, so it gives me confidence knowing that there might be someone on the team who looks up to me. I remember being the wide-eyed freshman last year.”

And even though graduation is couple years down the road, Hauber is beginning to think about the legacy that she’d like to leave behind.

“I just want people to see that I helped others whenever I could, and not just in athletics,” Hauber said. “I want people to see that I had fun with it and made the most of my time in the water.”

Follow @RealJakeMosbach on Twitter for Iowa women’s swimming and diving news, updates, and analysis.