The struggle as a symbol

Christopher Cervantes

Any individual who is in the public eye is aware that there is a certain burden that forever weighs on their shoulders. Every choice, every action, is conducted under the intense gaze of the public’s ever-present microscope. This same brand of criticism extends past that of a person and to special circumstances and events.

Every year, the publication Glamour awards one woman the title of Woman of the Year. The recipient of the 2015 season was Olympic gold medalist and (recently public) transgender person Caitlyn Jenner. Many have called foul on this award, citing Jenner’s birth sex as a reason for disqualification. Others have voiced protests because of viewing others as more deserving with more impressive feats.

Concerning this specific case, Jenner should not have received the title of Woman of the Year. Not because she is transgender but because she has done nothing with her elevated celebrity status.

Laverne Cox, Candis Cayne, Isis King, Chaz Bono. All of the people listed are transgender celebrities and icons. They have used this personal detail about themselves to spread awareness about a subdivision of the LGBT community that is often regarded even more severely than those that identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. They have all worked diligently ensure the future equality of their community.

Meanwhile, according to an interview done during her award ceremony, Jenner finds the most difficult aspect of being a woman is picking out what to wear. Actor Rose McGowan said, “Woman of the Year? No, not until you wake up and join the fight. Being a woman comes with a lot of baggage. The weight of unequal history. You’d do well to learn it.”

Despite this highly publicized statement, Jenner has done a fair amount of work in the transgender community. Not as much as her predecessors, mind you, but still, considering how long she has been out, a respectable amount. But then again, what exactly is the respectable amount?

It’s a funny thing when you realize that certain happinesses and freedoms come at a price. Yes, the group of people listed above all get to live their lives as their true selves, but, given their celebrity status, they are more scrutinized because of it.

At this time, I have to ask myself, why must these celebrities be hard-core advocates?

From what I’ve read through various interviews and studies, coming out as transgender can be even more difficult than coming out as homosexual. When all of the steps are taken for people to realize their correct genders, they should be allowed to breathe and enjoy their new freedom instead of having the mandatory title of advocate shoved down their throats.

So why do they do it then? Simple, it comes with the territory.

These advocates are no strangers to social scrutiny. Being criticized by the media for something they said is not nearly as disheartening. If this is the price for working towards a higher goal, then so be it.