Big Ten honors Norlander, Ackers

Iowa midfielder Chandler Ackers hits the ball at Grant Field on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015. Iowa fell to Maryland, 2-1, in double overtime. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Before the quarterfinals begin in Bloomington, Indiana, the Big Ten announced field-hockey postseason honors.

Iowa junior Stephanie Norlander earned Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-Big Ten. She leads the Big Ten in goals (16) and is tied with Northwestern’s Dominique Masters for points (36). Norlander has taken much of the load that injured Natalie Cafone left.

“Being named the Offensive Player of the Year is an outstanding accomplishment,” Iowa head coach Lisa Cellucci said in a release. “I am thrilled for Steph. She has made big strides in her game every year and is a real leader on the field for us this season. Every team we played had a strategy for her and attempted to take her out of the game. Even with that target on her back, she found a way to make things happen on the offensive side of the ball.”

The junior is the second-straight Hawkeye to earn the honor; Cafone claimed the honor last season.

Iowa junior Chandler Ackers earned a second-team All-Big Ten honor.

— by Mario Williams