On board with never bored

Group proves board games are still alive and well.

By Ali Krogman

An Iowa City group is proving board games are not a thing of the past.

Chad Johnson took over the group “bored and gaming” in 2013, and the gamers have continued to play every Wednesday night since at Johnson’s house.

Johnson said anywhere from six to 24 people might attend game night, ranging in ages from early 20s to late 50s. He waits until there are enough guests to fill a table and then starts the night off with a “light” game that lasts around 45 minutes.

There is only one rule during game night — happiness is mandatory.

“I’ve loved games as long as I can remember,” Johnson said. “After college was when I was introduced to European-style board games, which is what I mostly play now.”

Johnson said the group plays a wide variety of European games, such as strategy, territory-control, and worker-placement games. Although Johnson’s own collection includes around 150 games, he said people often bring their own to play.

“European games are much more fun to play in my experience,” Johnson said. “And for the newer players.”

The “bored and gaming” group’s most popular games to play include Seven Wonders, Puerto Rico, Vikings, Oasis, and Abiss, among others.

Johnson said he believes board games and life lessons often overlap.

“As a child, there’s the opportunity to learn how to lose and win in social circles, as well as how to win and lose well,” Johnson said. “That continues similarly throughout life.”

Johnson said board games also test the mind and develop social affability and friendships.

Jay Keener, a frequent attendee of game night, said participating is also a good way to get out of the house.

“Coming here was a great way to meet people,” Keener said. “Wednesday nights are my nights to get away from home and have some fun.”

Johnson doesn’t believe board games will disappear anytime soon. He said there are many different game groups similar to “bored and gaming,” as well as large gaming conventions throughout the world.

John Ward, executive director of the Game Manufacturers Association, said he believes the gaming industry has become much more socially accepted.

“What you’re seeing is local gaming groups starting to pop up all over and thriving, which is feeding the convention system,” Ward said. “People road trip together and it’s really a lot of fun for them.”

Ward said that the association membership has almost doubled in the last six years, and he’s often asked how the gaming industry is still growing.

“The price point on items is not that high, so you spend so much on a game and then play it forever,” Ward said. “There’s also a lot of nostalgia for people spending time at home. We want to have that time with our families.”

Johnson said he hopes “bored and gaming” will continue as long as he lives in Iowa City and beyond.

“My favorite part of game night is getting to meet new people who I have a similar connection with,” Johnson said. “I find people who play board games much more interesting and fun.”