Instant Reaction: Iowa 40, Northwestern 10

Iowa tight end George Kittle celebrates after his touchdown during the Iowa-North Texas game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Mean Green, 62-16. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

The Iowa football team beat Northwestern, 40-10.

By Danny Payne

EVANSTON, Illinois — This team is good. No. 17 Iowa moved to 7-0 with a win over No. 20 Northwestern and is now very much in control of the Big Ten West. We’ll have some more coverage later, but in the meantime, here are a few thoughts for you to chew on.

• Like we said at halftime, Akrum Wadley LOVES playing against Northwestern. He finished with 204 yards and 4 touchdowns, which ties a school record.
  • That’s a gutsy performance from C.J. Beathard. If I’m Kirk Ferentz, I don’t make him do anything physical until Halloween against Maryland. Tyler Wiegers entered with 9:37 left in the game and finished 1-of-2 for 22 yards.
  • The offensive line just demolished dudes in the second half, we’ll have a story on that later, but MAN, did they kill guys.
  • Josey Jewell also demolished Wildcat quarterback Clayton Thorson.
  • Iowa’s first drive of the second half — 12 plays, 84 yards, 6:24. That’s what the doctor ordered, especially after a lackluster end to the first half.
  • This:

https://twitter.com/IanFromIowa/status/655459231793975296

• You’re all liars if you raised your hand.
  • Northwestern’s Marching Band and DJ is better than its football team, but the conversation in this one should be more about how good Iowa is. I’m confident saying that now. Iowa is good.