Walking for a wish

For the Wishmakers, one very ill child’s wish is their command.

The University of Iowa group will host a Halloween Hawk Walk

fundraiser Oct. 24 at which leades hope to announce the next wish they will granting.

On average, the group’s goal is to raise $5,000 as often as possible. Once that goal is met, they take the money to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and are matched up with a child whose wish they grant.

“We are being paired up right now, we hope to invite the child to Hawk Walk,” said Daisy Clymer, the Wishmaker’s executive director. “It’s so exciting to meet with family and get to know them.”

The last wish granted was two years ago. The Wishmakers sent a young girl named Isabella to Disney World to meet the Disney princesses.

The Hawk Walk registration will be from 9 to 10:45 a.m. at Lower City Park. Admission is $15 for individuals and $25 for families. All proceeds will go toward the Wishmakers granting their next wish.

Several community and student organizations on campus are also involved in the walk. The Red Shamrock Foundation, a campus organization that focuses on cancer survivor support, will be present for pumpkin painting.

The Child Life organization will also be in attendance participating in the walk. At the finish of the walk, the UI’s men’s a cappella group Intersection will perform as food is served.

The walk will also feature a silent auction, a photo booth, and plenty of Halloween cheer.

Kids are invited to wear their Halloween costume and trick-or-treat throughout the course of the event.

“I would encourage everyone to come out and support the walk and dress up as their favorite character,” said Mackenzie Phillips, one of the event’s organizers.

The Hawk Walk is just one of the fundraisers the Wishmakers organize in order to raise money to grant wishes as often as possible.

“We try to have at least one fundraiser a month,” Taylor Scudder, fundraising director, said. “It’s so nice to watch our decisions come together and things getting planned out for the good of others. It takes a lot of work, but it’s amazing to see that happen.”

Many members also volunteer once a month at the hospital in the pediatric inpatient ward for more hands on experience.