Harreld nixes office renovation

The presidents mansion is located on Church Street, which had plans to be renovated by previous University of Iowa president Sally Mason. Bruce Harreld, the newly selected president, has decided to veto all plans for renovation (Daily Iowan/Glenn Sonnie Wooden).

Renovations in the President’s Office have been put on hold.

By Alyssa Guzman

The President’s Office will stay the way it is — for now, anyway.

A planned $500,000 project to renovate the President’s Office, 101 Jessup Hall, has been scaled back after incoming President Bruce Harreld vetoed the plans.

There have been no updates since the original construction of the office in 1924. Additional deferred maintenance work costing around $1.5 million has begun on the President’s Residence.

“The project was intended to address long-standing functional issues with the layout of the office area [as well as] the finishes within the space, which are also very outdated and do not present a welcoming environment for visitors,” said Rod Lehnertz, the interim senior vice president for Finance & Operations.

Though the original project for the office is discontinued, small renovations — such as painting and replacement of aged carpet — will go forward.

“This will avoid the need to find temporary office accommodations, as would have been the case for a complete renovation,” Lehnertz said.

Regent Milt Dakovich, who chairs the regents’ property and facilities committee, said the plan was put into action after President Mason retired.

“We decided that was the appropriate time to complete updates to the mansion and the office just because we were switching between presidents,” Dakovich said.

Harreld vetoed the proposed renovations shortly after being appointed by the regents to succeed Mason.

“[Harreld] shared that he was confident he and the President’s Office staff would be able to function effectively in the office layout as it currently exists,” Lehnertz said. “He was not comfortable with expending the funds needed to complete the project.”

UI Student Government President Liz Mills said she recognizes the repairs the President’s Office needs.

“I think renovations would be necessary, and there do need to be some renovations done in the President’s Office in order to make it more effective, safe, and secure for the people working there,” she said.

The complete project has been postponed for the time being, but plans to revive it in the future are being discussed.

UISG Vice President Morgan Brittain said while he is unfamiliar with the new plan for renovating the President’s Office, he believes that postponing renovations would be a wise choice.

“I think if the renovations can wait, and [if] it’s going to save money in the long run, it’s probably a good idea,” he said.

Dakovich said Harreld is also aware the renovations are necessary but believes more than just the office needs to be updated.

“The things that were going to be done to the office were to change spaces around and accommodate needs,” Dakovich said. “President Harreld said, ‘No, let’s not do that at this time. The whole floor needs renovation, so let’s put together a comprehensive plan and do it sometime in the future.’ ”

Renovating the entire floor rather than just the office will increase the budget.

So far, there is no set budget or timeline for the completion of the floor project.

“He recognizes the need, but we’ll do a better job if we put a plan together,” Dakovich said.

Mills said changes to the President’s Office would be beneficial no matter when they happen, but she believes the President’s Residence, 102 Church St., needs more work and needs to be done sooner.

“The house itself has some water issues, and those renovations have to be done to the [President’s Residence],” Dakovich said.