Dance Marathon needs a lot of support to keep thriving

Check out more about Phil here: www.uifoundation.org/facultystaff

Coming from a community that emphasized volunteerism, I long knew that I enjoyed helping others. I also knew that I enjoyed working in a health-care setting in which children were involved. When I started my college career, these passions led me to the University of Iowa Dance Marathon. The mission of providing emotional and financial support to patients and families who are affected by pediatric cancer really resonated with me — and I knew I had to be more involved. I started as a dancer, worked up through leadership, and this year, as a senior, I am serving as the director of public relations and marketing on the Executive Council.

Dance Marathon has not only changed my life, it also has allowed me to educate others about philanthropy and its effect on their lives. We share a passion “For The Kids” and their care — but we also gain a passion for fundraising through our work with the organization. Our most rewarding moments are when we hear from a Dance Marathon family about how much our support has meant to them or when we reach new levels of fundraising or complete a project that allows us to lift up even more kids and their families. It is exciting to share the excitement with other students and know that they will carry this experience with them into the real world.

The thing that makes this organization unique for each family and kiddo is the emotional support. Every interaction a patient has with a Dance Marathon volunteer makes her or his day a little bit better — and her or his fight a little less scary. The feeling I get when a kiddo smiles because I spent three hours crafting with her or him is incomparable. I simply put off homework for a few hours, but the time we spent together made that kid’s entire day and gave the parents a much-needed break. These interactions make me believe that even the smallest things can have a huge effect.

Dance Marathon raises money to provide financial support to these families — but we absolutely could not do it without the generous support from our donors, who range from community members and cancer survivors to our amazing faculty and staff, who continue to give in honor of their students, who dance year after year. These donors have made it possible for us — the UI’s largest student organization — to pledge $5 million to help build the new UI Children’s Hospital. It’s a great example of how many people giving what they are able can make a big difference in the world.

This past summer, I also had the amazing opportunity to be a development intern at the UI Foundation. I learned that it takes support from a lot of alumni and friends — including generous faculty and staff — to keep the university thriving, and that philanthropy plays a surprisingly big role in the life of our public university. This week, with We Are Phil happening on campus, I just want to say “thank you” to all those at Iowa who have given to support Dance Marathon and other charitable causes in the university. Your gifts really do make a difference to students such as me.

Nidhi Patel

Director of Public Relations and Marketing

UI Dance Marathon