Brands gets contract extension

Rachael Westergard
Iowa head coach Tom Brands and assistant coach Ryan Morningstar react during the 174 pound bout of Session V of the 2015 Division 1 Wrestling Championships at the Scottrade Center on Saturday, March 21, 2015 in St. Louis, Missouri. Kokesh defeated Evans 6-4 in overtime. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Iowa signed head wrestling coach Tom Brands to a three-year extension, the university announced on Thursday.

He is now under contract through the 2019-20 season. The extension is on to his current five-year contract he signed before the 2012-13 season.

“Tom continues to lead one of the most successful programs in the country in any sport,” Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said in a release. “He demonstrates tremendous passion for his program and is an excellent ambassador for the University of Iowa and this community. I’m excited about the future of Iowa wrestling.”

Brands has had quite a bit of success since being hired in 2006. Iowa has won three team national championships and four conference-tournament championships under his guidance.

He has coached nine individual national champions and 50 All-Americans.

The Hawkeyes are coming off a season in which they finished second at the NCAA Championships.

“We have high expectations for this program, and I know our fans, administration, and campus leaders share those expectations,” Brands said. “Being a part of Hawkeye wrestling is a privilege, and as head coach, it comes with a responsibility that I take very seriously. We’ve got work to do.”

by Jordan Hansen