Seize the political opportunity

By Stacey Murray

One of the most notable traditions at the University of Iowa includes the “47 things” list given to all freshmen. It encompasses a bucket list of sorts for students’ time at the UI.

Some are necessities — such as eating the Big Ass Turkey Leg and catching up on your news with The Daily Iowan. But I have an amendment I’d like to make: One of the items should include, “Meet a current or future U.S. president.” (If I had to recommend an item to take out — I would say students don’t need to study at each of the seven libraries. Pick one, and stick with it.)

All 31,000-plus of our UI students are afforded an opportunity lusted after by political junkies around the nation: the ability to rub shoulders with presidential candidates coming through the state. Thanks to Iowa’s privileged status as the first-in-the-nation caucuses, all of us are gifted with innumerable opportunities to meet those who seek the highest-profile office in the nation.

It’s an opportunity I didn’t realize awaited me until I took over as Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Iowan.

Roughly two years ago, a generous donor helped the DI create our Ethics and Politics Initiative, the funds of which allow DI political reporters the opportunity to travel around the state to cover presidential politics. The sheer number of visits from these politicos astounds me.

Plenty of the candidates stop by Iowa City. Sen. Rand Paul stops by the IMU. Sen. Bernie Saunders holds rallies in Iowa City parking lots, and Carly Fiorina swings by tailgates. Donald Trump takes the Iowa media onto his private plane. Hillary Clinton seizes the Iowa City Public Library. Martin O’Malley plays his guitar at the Mill.

Here is some admitted bias: I love Iowa. I was born and raised here. Four generations of my family have lived in my small, eastern Iowa town. To me, it has been a sense of pride that Iowa holds the first caucus. As Iowans, we may be “Iowa nice,” but that doesn’t mean we avoid what is important.

While there are critics who say this opportunity shouldn’t be afforded to Iowa, candidates aren’t able to skip out on the hard questions when stumping here. Clinton was forced to take questions regarding the status of her email controversy in Cedar Falls hours after the AP reported a federal judge ruled she would have to begin releasing them immediately. Fiorina was confronted with a woman dressed as birth control at an Iowa tailgate, attacking Fiorina for her stances on women’s health.

There are more examples. An audience member wanted answers on immigration — specifically relating to Max Villatoro, or Pastor Max, an Iowa Citian who was deported earlier this year. So she took the chance to ask Jeb Bush during his first trip to Iowa after formally announcing his candidacy. And someone posed this question to Ben Carson: Why, as a black man, would you run as a Republican?

And students should be a part of the process.  You might not be a native-born Iowan. In fact, almost half of you aren’t. But you are being afforded an opportunity Iowans take pride in — the ability to shape our country’s history based on your concerns.

You should have questions, and you are being handed the platform to force politicians into addressing those issues.

Ask about student debt or the economy. Ask about the wage gap or immigration.

It’s an Iowan privilege we want to share with you.