Mentorship inspires philanthropy

Check out more about Phil here: www.uifoundation.org/facultystaff

Though the memories are becoming a little bit fuzzier as I get older, I still remember my first days on campus at the University of Iowa. I was welcomed to the study of business law by Professor Nancy Hauserman and encouraged to study labor-management relations by the enthusiasm of Professor Tony Sinicropi.

Nancy and Tony supported me in my decisions to go to graduate school and, ultimately, to law school. While at the University of Iowa College of Law, I was further inspired to push myself in the classroom because of such professors as Randy Bezanson, William Buss, and Martha Chamallas.

I have made this short trip down memory lane because it explains why I give money to the UI, and why I choose to be an active participant in the We Are Phil philanthropy program. The success I have had in my career is directly related to the experiences I had with my UI professors — people who gave their time and effort to help a student from a small town in northeast Iowa achieve his dreams.

Since returning to the University of Iowa as a faculty member, I have seen thousands of students benefit from the generosity of the many people who support the university. That support has allowed Iowa students to study in brand-new classrooms, finance their educations through scholarships, attend conferences, and study in other countries.     

I give back to the UI because I have received so much from the people I have met here and because of the doors that my UI education opened for me. It’s not the amount that matters so much as the act of giving back, knowing that I am helping to give other Hawkeye students the same opportunities I received. 

The We Are Phil campaign gives all of us the chance to make a difference on this campus and to have a positive impact on our Iowa students. I would encourage every faculty and staff member to “be Phil” and help make that difference.

Lon Moeller

(1982 B.B.A., 1984 M.A., 1987 J.D.)

University of Iowa Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education

Dean, University College