Field hockey splits in Indiana

Iowa and Kent State high-five after the game at Grant Field on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Flashes 7-1. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

The Iowa field-hockey team dumped Ball State but fell to Indiana.

By Mario Williams

The Iowa field-hockey team competed on the road this past weekend against Indiana and Ball State.

The team came home finishing 1-1, rolling Ball State, 6-1, but falling to Indiana, 3-1.

The first day  wasn’t what the Hawkeyes needed in order to continue their Big Ten slate.

Both teams were scoreless until 12 seconds were remaining on the clock in the first half. The Hoosiers scored its first goal just in time. Iowa fired eight shots in the first half, but Indiana goalkeeper Noelle Rother didn’t let the ball get past her.

She had 4 saves during the game. The Big Ten’s leading scorer, Iowa junior Stephanie Norlander, scored the only goal for the Hawks in the second half.

The Hawkeyes took 11 shots and earned 5 penalty corners, with Norlander taking 6 of the shots.

The second game belonged to the Hawkeyes. They scored their first 3 goals of the game in the first half from sophomore Veronique Declercq, Norlander, and sophomore JoElla Guagliardo.

The team tallied 9 shots in the first half. The second-half script followed a similar pattern, with the Hawkeyes scoring 3 goals on 10 shots. 

Declercq and Norlander both scored again, and junior Chandler Ackers scored on a penalty stroke in the 59th minute. Norlander now has 13 goals. The Hawk defense limited the Cardinals to just 6 shots and gave up 6 penalty corners.

“We played a complete game today,” Iowa head coach Lisa Cellucci said in a release.  “The team executed the game plan well, and we controlled the tempo, which was necessary against a very aggressive Ball State team.”

The Hawks will stay on the road, competing against No. 14 Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois, on Friday.

Follow @marioxwilliams on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis on the Iowa field-hockey team.