The harmony of collaboration

[#Beginning of Shooting Data Section] Nikon D70 Focal Length: 125mm Optimize Image: Normal Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB) Long Exposure NR: Off 2005/08/10 20:07:26.9 Exposure Mode: Manual White Balance: Auto Tone Comp.: Auto JPEG (8-bit) Fine Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern AF Mode: AF-S Hue Adjustment: 0∞ Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000) 1/60 sec – F/2.8 Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached Saturation: Normal Exposure Comp.: 0 EV Sharpening: Auto Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8 G Sensitivity: ISO 400 Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV Image Comment: [#End of Shooting Data Section]

Des Moines native Taylor Mills’ music has taken her all over the world. As a singer, she’s released two critically acclaimed solo albums and performed on Brian Wilson’s Grammy-winning Smile project.

The Iowa Music Hall of Fame chose Mills as an inductee earlier this year. Mills spoke with *The Daily Iowan* via email about the honor, her music, and her upcoming plans.

The Daily Iowan: What about your work, do you think, made you successful?
Taylor Mills: I think you have to be a team player in music, and if you work well with others, trying to reach a common goal, good things will have a better chance of happening. When you’re singing harmonies, like with Brian’s music, you have to know how to blend voices collectively. It’s a shared experience. I also feel that being prepared is so important.

DI: Who have you collaborated with in the past?
Mills: Well, I’m mostly known for being in Brian Wilson’s band for 12 years. We worked on many records together over the years but through being in Brian’s band, I’ve shared the stage with many different artists. Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, John Legend, Paul Simon … but I wouldn’t say it was a collaboration.

DI: Who has been your favorite collaborator?
Mills: Doing my two solo records with my husband, Todd Sucherman and my Brian Wilson bandmate Scott Bennett, would be tops on the list.

DI: How does it feel to be inducted into the Iowa Music Hall of Fame?
Mills: It’s really an honor, and I was thrilled when they contacted me to let me know about the induction.

DI: What was your initial reaction?
Mills: Delightfully surprised. I really was flattered.

DI: Do you think you deserve the recognition?
Mills: Well, that’s not really for me to decide one way or another. I’m just happy they thought so.

DI: Tell me about your involvement with Brian Wilson’s *Smile* project, which won him a Grammy.
Mills: Brian had had all these parts in his head since the ’60s with this music. It was a matter of us all getting together to learn parts, rehearse them, research them, and bring them to life. It was a process, but one that paid off. It’s a unique record and unique music unlike anything else, really. *Smile* had remained unfinished since around 1967. There was always legend and lore surrounding the *Smile* project and about how it could’ve influenced the direction of music. So, it was a thrill to be involved with the completion of *Smile,* finally in 2004.

DI: Do you have plans to release a third album?
Mills: At this point we have a 19-month-old daughter, so it’s all about her right now. But perhaps down the road. We’ll see.

DI: How would you describe your sound?