Soccer tries to figure it out

Iowa head coach Ron Rainey reacts to the team’s passing against North Dakota at the Iowa Soccer Complex in Iowa City on Sunday, August 19, 2012. The Hawkeyes recorded a 3-0 victory over UND. (The Daily Iowan/Nicholas Fanelli)

By Courtney Baumann

After dropping its first two Big Ten games last weekend to Michigan State and Michigan, the Iowa soccer team is trying to figure things out.

The Hawkeyes lost 2-1 to the Spartans and 1-0 to the Wolverines. The losses dropped them to second to last in the Big Ten standings, and they failed to earn any conference points. With 3 points awarded for a win, 1 for a tie, and none for a loss, it leaves them in a tough place. Maryland is the only other team in the conference without any points.

“Michigan State was a big wake-up call for everyone,” senior goalkeeper Hannah Clark said. “We realized we need to play for each other, and we can’t just not show up and not perform, or we’re going to get punished for it.”

The problem with the game against Michigan State was that rather than playing as a team and for each other, it was more of an “every woman for herself” situation, said Clark and some of her teammates.

The Hawks made improvements during the Michigan game, and although head coach Dave DiIanni said he is not into “moral victories,” the loss was not as disappointing, even though it was more devastating.

Michigan’s Lulu Haider scored the lone goal in the 89th minute of the match, which did not allow Iowa enough time to attempt to tie the score.

“It’s never fun to lose like that … but we have to find positives and be happy that our team was able to come together after the Michigan State game,” junior Tory Harman said. “I think everyone had a chip on her shoulder after the first game and came ready to play for Michigan.”

The biggest problem, DiIanni said, is that not enough of the players have stepped up to the challenge. There are some who have — but that core group is not large enough to make up a team of 11.

The second-year head coach hopes that the players figure it out sooner rather than later, but he has noted that if the troubles continue through the end of the season, then he will give the 2016 recruiting class a good chance to step up next year.

DiIanni’s definition of “figuring it out” is broad. It covers everything from being on the field and playing to practicing hard every day to balancing school, social life, and soccer.

The coaching staff has attempted to help with each player’s progress to figuring it out, but DiIanni said it ultimately comes down to each individual.

“We’re trying to give them the tools to be successful, but everyone figures it out and different levels at different times,” he said. “You don’t want to have to tell people the same things over and over again. You want them to be self-learners.”

With games coming up on Friday and Sept. 27 against No. 20 Ohio State and No. 4 Penn State, it would be helpful for a few more Hawkeyes to join that core group if the team is to make any progress.

Otherwise, the result is obvious to DiIanni.

“If we’re not going to work hard and if we’re not going to compete for each other, we will be easy wins for teams,” he said.