UI studying obesity

File+photo
File photo
While obesity rates are increasing, the University of Iowa is conducting a study to combat these high numbers.
The Obesity Research and Education Initiative at the UI are conducting a study to lower child obesity rates and to create a weight loss program for families.
The study is in it’s second year and third round. As part of the third round, the researchers are releasing a program focusing around nutrition, healthy habits, and tips to prevent and treat obesity.
“We want to help families recognize healthy habits for life and ideally then that leads to better weight management, better health outcomes [and] less health outcomes,” said Sharon Tucker, the director for research evidence based practice and equality.
After basing the study on students, they are now focusing efforts on studying families.

Tucker said they found results are better when families tackle these issues together.
Each of these family sessions includes conversation about diet, challenges they are facing, amounts of physical activity, and progress they have seen.
“We talk a lot of different issues and it’s kind of a blend of education and focusing on the environments and the kids, trying to build in some fun activities as well,” said Lucas Carr, assistant professor of health and human physiology.