Instant Reaction: Iowa 31, Illinois State 14

The Iowa football team beat Illinois State on Sept. 5, 31-14.

By Danny Payne

I covered most of the meaningful stuff in our halftime update, which can be found here. Here are some extras from this half and the game in general.

• Damn. Tough to complain about that performance if you’re an Iowa fan. Save for some time in the second quarter, Iowa did exactly what it wanted all afternoon and made it very tough for Illinois State to get any sort of offense.
  • Some telling stats for you here. Total yards: Iowa, 431. Illinois State, 231.
  • For what it’s worth, Iowa’s tight ends did absolutely nothing this afternoon with the exception of a Jameer Outsey grab in garbage time.
  • James Daniels, brother of LeShun Daniels, looked solid when he played on Iowa’s touchdown drive to make the game 31-0.
  • Until a garbage time 52-yard completion from backup quarterback Jake Kolbe to Christian Gibbs, Illinois State did not make it to the end zone.
  • Drew Ott finished with 2 sacks, 3 tackles, a quarterback hit, and a forced fumble. A front-runner for Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, perhaps. Ott didn’t play much during the second half because of a bloody nose.
  • We’ll have much more from Kinnick this afternoon and Sunday, so be sure to check back here for coverage of the first win in 2015.