How to combat rape culture

Attendees write what it means to be an activist on chalkboards at the ‘It’s On Us’ Sexual Violence Summit at the IMU on Wednesday, April 22, 2015. The event brought together military leaders, experts, UI students, and community members in an effort to raise awareness on sexual assault. (The Daily Iowan/Mikaela Parrick)

Hannah Soyer

Recently, the chapter of the Sigma Nu fraternity at Old Dominion University in Virginia was suspended following the display of some very offensive, very

sexist signs. “Rowdy and Fun. Hope your baby girl is ready for a good time” and “freshman daughter drop off; go ahead and drop off mom, too” were the two messages displayed.

Although the signs were displayed at a private house, not the fraternity’s house, members of Sigma Nu were reported to be involved. This incident obviously does nothing to add to the reputation that fraternities tend to have as being organizations that consciously or subconsciously perpetuate sexism and rape culture, as the banners could definitely be read as making light of sexual assault, a very serious problem, especially on college campuses.

However, in response to these signs, a different chapter of Sigma Nu at Virginia Wesleyan College decided to hang banners from its fraternity house stating the following: “Rowdy and Fun? Nah … Respect and Fidelity,” and another saying “Honor and Equality.” What this chapter of Sigma Nu did is important, because it is an active attempt to fight the societal preconceptions and norms that fuel the culture of rape.

In case you are unfamiliar with the phrase “rape culture,” or perhaps have heard it but don’t really understand what it means, rape culture can best be described as a culture in which rape is normalized because of the mainstream attitudes toward gender and sexuality. It may seem that the banners displayed by the Sigma Nu chapter Old Dominion University do not fit this description. The messages themselves are not inherently talking about rape. However, the attitude they are conveying is ultimately a sexist one, and that attitude contributes to the idea that rape is something that “just happens,” as former UI President Sally Mason so aptly put it.

Last year, I came across a photo from the Hawks Don’t Hate campaign to break stereotypes. The photo showed a college student holding up a dry erase board with the phrase “Just because I’m part of a fraternity doesn’t mean I contribute to rape culture.” This photo really bothered me, but I will admit that part of this may have been a biased judgment on my part.

But, my opinions on fraternities aside, stating that you aren’t contributing to rape culture isn’t enough, just as sympathy is not enough. You know what they say about “if you aren’t part of the solution,” which in this case entails actively combating rape culture.

How do you combat rape culture? Do exactly what the chapter of Sigma Nu at Virginia Wesleyan College did: Make it publicly known that you or your organization is not supportive of rape in any sense. When this view is made public, it lets others know who have been sexually assaulted or harassed that you stand in solidarity with them, and it lets those who commit the act know that you do not stand in solidarity with them.

On the surface, it may seem that the way to stop rape culture is to simply stop rape. This is of course true, and the ultimate goal. But in order to do this, a shift in consciousness has to occur first, and that starts with small acts, such as a fraternity choosing to display a sign saying “Honor and Equality.”