Norlander’s game-changing summer

Iowa forward Stephanie Norlander passes the ball against Missouri State at Grant Field on Sunday, Sep. 28, 2014 in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hawkeyes defeated the Bears, 7-0. (The Daily Iowan/File Photo)

Iowa’s Stephanie Norlander had an international summer that will benefit her this season.

By Mario Williams

Iowa field-hockey player Stephanie Norlander had quite the summer while playing internationally for her country.

Norlander, a native of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, is a member of the Canadian National Team. In July, the team competed in the Pan American Games in Toronto, Ontario, and finished third. The team’s finish against Chile was the highest it had since the early ’90s.

“It was an incredible experience,” Norlander said. “The hockey was super high-level, and to come away with a bronze was unreal. We really competed for the whole 60 minutes, and it just felt like a really good team win.”

During the event, the junior scored a hat trick against the Dominican Republic in the first game. The Canadians also competed against top-tier opponents Argentina, the United States, and Mexico.

The Pan American Games weren’t her only international experience of the summer. The Canadian National Team traveled to Valencia, Spain, in June to compete for a spot in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janerio.

The team didn’t qualify for the 2016 Olympics, but the memories, virtuosity, and knowledge she’s gained from the summer will stay with her. Norlander said her technical skills have improved, and she feels more aware of the game.

“The hockey experience just really made my game better,” Norlander said. “My knowledge of the game and everything about the game in general has increased.”

The knowledge the junior gained is something Iowa field-hockey head coach Lisa Cellucci has noticed. She believes her defense and leadership have improved from last season.

In fact, she has played a number of different positions this season, something she didn’t do last year.

“She’s obviously completely at the highest level you can be at in hockey, and it’s helped her since she’s been back for sure,” Cellucci said. “She’s able to take on whatever we ask her to do.”

It may be early to call the shots, but the mid-fielder/forward is making noise for the Hawkeyes.

The junior won the game for the Hawkeyes when she scored her first goal of the season, in overtime, against Wake Forest on Aug. 29.

“It was a really cool feeling,” Norlander said. “It felt good to score for the team and get the win.”

Scoring goals for the team and leading the team is something Norlander will be doing much more of this season. With the team’s lack of depth and its top player not playing because of an injury this season, every opponent will probably look to knock her off her game.

The pressure will be on, but her teammates know her experience is something that can be counted on when it matters most.

“Her work ethic is awesome,” junior Chandler Ackers said. “Everyone knows she’s one of our key players, but I don’t think that’s going to stop her. I know she can work through that and still be the best out there.

“She honestly is a great leader and role model for our team. I love her.”

Follow @Marioxwilliams for news, updates and analysis about the Iowa field-hockey team.