Letters to the Editor

Lori Roetlin: A voice for all students

I’m glad we have a lot of vacancies and a lot of candidates for the

Sept. 8 School Board election. As a School District, we have a lot to do. We face growing challenges in the years ahead that will require creative yet sensible solutions. We need board members who are ready to listen and do the work at hand.

That’s why I will vote for Lori Roetlin for one of the four-year terms on the board. As a parent and volunteer with four kids at several schools in our community, Lori understands these issues firsthand. As a social worker at UIHC, she has deep experience in service of others, especially those who may not have a voice.

That’s the only kind of “special interest” we need in this election. Not neighborhood PACs and secret campaign promises. It’s about serving all of the children in our community. And that’s exactly what Lori Roetlin is ready to do. I hope you’ll consider selecting her as one of your candidates when you vote on Sept. 8.

Nick Westergaard

Brianna Wills for School Board

I am writing to express my support for Brianna Wills, a candidate for the School Board. Brianna is an advocate for all children across the district in which her own four children attend. She has proven her leadership skills as PTA President and District Parents’ Organization co-president. Brianna has served on several School District hiring committees, the Magnet School Exploratory Committee, and has been involved with the School District Foundation. She is actively engaged in the Iowa City and Johnson County communities through numerous volunteer organizations.

Brianna will promote student success by collaborating with other board members. She will exhibit transparency and accountability, investigate eco-friendly options, and focus on educational achievement and equity throughout the district. Brianna supports the Facilities Master Plan and its inclusion of all School District students. She will continue to advocate for adequate funding and keep a close eye on the district’s budget. Brianna’s knowledge, skills, and experience would make her an outstanding addition to the School Board.

Vote for Brianna Wills for School Board on Sept. 8.

Jenny Maiers

Vote for LaTasha DeLoach

As a longtime Coralville resident with three kids attending schools in our district, I’ve been paying close attention to school issues for the last nine years or so. I know we need School Board members who will listen to all sides of an issue, will think critically, and will focus on the needs of all of the kids in our district. There is no one running for School Board that I trust more to do just that than LaTasha DeLoach. As someone who has lived in Coralville, North Liberty, and Iowa City, she understands the needs of the entire district. While working with her this past year on the Juneteenth event, I saw firsthand the overwhelming passion she has for improving our community. I recognized someone who is incredibly intelligent and thoughtful about the issues our kids are facing. I saw a communicator who can mediate disputes, listen attentively, and advocate for the underrepresented. And most of all, I saw a leader, someone who can bring people together around a common cause. We need LaTasha on the School Board fighting for our kids’ futures. Please join me in voting for her on Sept. 8.

Matt Falduto