Protest & prejudice

Photographer: Benson Kua

Christopher Cervantes

From 1963 to 1967, George Wallace served as the governor of Alabama (also 1971-79 and 1983-87). During the ’60s, Wallace was known for his vehement defense of segregation, going on the record saying, “… and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever,” during his inaugural speech. Wallace went on to have a combative relationship with President John F. Kennedy over the issue of segregation.

You would think that no one in today’s world would ever condone what Wallace did in the name of discrimination. However, it seems that a similar event has occurred in the state of Kentucky, and it is actually receiving a semblance of support.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis opposes gay marriage on the grounds of religion. Because of this personal belief of hers, she has taken it upon herself to deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples. On Aug. 28, Davis’s lawyers filed a petition to the Supreme Court in order to continue this action. “The great majority of states are readily complying with the Supreme Court’s ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges,” Shannon Minter, the legal director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, told CNN. “But the resistance of some state and local officials is significant.”

There are several portions of this story that seem, for lack of a better word, wrong. Not only has Davis refused to issue licenses to people who by law deserve them, she has been doing this since same-sex marriage has been ruled a right in all 50 states. It is comparable to someone denying a couple a marriage license because they are of different races. Not only is it an example of high-profile bigotry but also the truest form of unprofessionalism. University of Iowa student Brandon Hundley described the incident as something “born out of ignorance,” and he said Davis “is entitled to her opinion, but should probably look for a different job if [gay marriage] bothers her so much.”

The viewpoint of Davis is incredibly warped. She believes, for some bizarre reason, that her actions are done in the name of a warped sense of justice. The fact of the matter is that this ruling is here to stay. The Supreme Court is full of smart people, and they are aware how a majority of the nation (and in turn, the world) views it. If we were to allow Davis to continue in her actions, the amount of backlash, both political and social, would be astronomical. And that is only in the domestic political markets. Internationally, this would lead to a most indecent portrayal of the United States, one that would be detrimental to our image.

What Davis is doing is not right. She is only being successful in continuing the hate and bigotry that has long divided us. For the Supreme Court to condone her actions would be an act of irresponsibility on its part. If she continues on this ill-minded crusade, then we would lose the social progress that we have worked so hard to achieve. We do not need any reruns of George Wallace.