Big Ten previews: Indiana

Indiana running back Tevin Coleman rushes down field in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014. Coleman had 15 carries for 219-yards on the game. Iowa defeated Indiana, 45-29. (The Daily Iowan/Tessa Hursh)

The Hoosiers aren’t known for football, and 2015 could be another rough year for a historically bad program.

By Charlie Green

When star Indiana running back Tevin Coleman announced in December 2014 that he would leave school early for the NFL draft, Hoosier Nation lost the most productive player the program had seen in a while.

But it does, however, get one key player back in quarterback Nate Sudfeld, who went down for the season with a shoulder injury against Iowa on Oct. 11, 2014. Now a senior, he’s confident about the prospects of his team even in the absence of Coleman.

“I’m just looking forward to the committee of a team we have,” he said. “We have a great offense, and we have a great defense, and we can show it.”

Injuries and lack of depth paint a different picture of the team — as does a look at the program’s history.

In terms of winning percentage, Indiana football ranks No. 116 out of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision programs with a winning percentage of .423. In terms of losses, the Hoosiers rank second-to-last with 619 (Northwestern has 627) — according to collegefootballresearch.com.

And even with Coleman’s 2,036 rushing yards a season ago, the team struggled to a 1-7 record in the Big Ten.