Clinton to unveil rural policy in visit to Iowa

Tiffin, IA on Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014

As Hillary Clinton continues to fight for the trust of voters with the burden of her private email controversy lingering, she’s changing the subject with her latest trip to the Hawkeye State.

Clinton is set to unveil her rural-policy plan, aimed to strengthen agriculture and support rural communities.

The Democratic frontrunner will travel across the state today, stopping at the Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny, Morningside College in Sioux City, and Tabor Home Vineyards & Winery near Baldwin.

Christopher Larimer, an associate professor of political science at the University of Northern Iowa, said political leaders such as Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack have made rural issues a point of attention in the country, especially because rural areas have suffered for some time in Iowa and throughout the Midwest.

“It’s an issue that’s gained interest and is of great concern to the Midwest [and] to Iowa,” Larimer said, noting that he expects more events similar to this one as the caucuses approach.

Vilsack, a former governor of Iowa, will announce his support of Clinton today in a Cedar Rapids Gazette op-ed.

With these events solely focusing on rural policy, Larimer said, the former secretary of State is the first 2016 presidential candidate to introduce policy specifically directed toward the rural sector, noting that other candidates have only brushed on the topic by addressing farmers’ interests.

Leading up to Clinton’s return to the state, a Suffolk University Poll released Tuesday showed 54 percent of likely Iowa Democratic caucus goers backed Clinton, giving her a solid lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who had 20 percent. The poll has a margin of error of 4.4 percentage points.

— by Aleksandra Vujicic