Supervisors may move on minimum wage

Johnson County supervisors weigh in on proposed minimum-wage increase.

By Gage Miskimen

Details about an upcoming minimum-wage proposal are still up in the air, particularly how the University of Iowa will respond.

At its meeting Thursday, the Johnson County Board of Supervisors will vote on first consideration on establishing a plan to raise the minimum wage in the county.

The plan proposes raising wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour in a series of three 95-cent increases so business owners have a chance to find a way to adjust.

County Supervisor Terrence Neuzil said he supports the minimum-wage increase.

“Increasing individual income will improve the quality of life for those most in need and for those most in need, this will help them,” he said.

If passed, the supervisors must approve the proposal at two later meetings as well. The tentative next considerations will be Sept. 3 at 9 a.m. and Sept. 10 at 5:30 p.m.

Supervisor Mike Carberry said the minimum-wage increase will affect more people than some may realize.

“Most people on minimum wage aren’t even teens. Most people think it’s for teens, but this ordinance would affect around 19,000 people if passed,” Carberry said. “Johnson County has the highest cost of living in Iowa. Nobody can live on $7.25.”

Many students making minimum wage while working part-time at the UI could be affected by the ordinance if it is passed.

UI spokesman Tom Moore wrote in an email that the university has not yet taken an official position on the proposal.

Neuzil said he doesn’t know whether the university will have to follow the proposed change.

“I have heard reports that the question will be whether or not the university will have to abide by the wage ordinance,” he said.

Additionally, the city governments in Johnson County have the right to decline the supervisors’ ordinance and choose to follow state law or propose their own ordinances, Neuzil said.

Neuzil also said he understands businesses face a difficult task when planning to increase employee wages.

“I’ve been trying to be a voice for the business community,” Neuzil said. “Hopefully, most businesses will be able to incorporate the first phase of the increases.”

Carberry said he thinks this change would have a positive effect on the economy in the county.

“This will be good for our economy. Low-wage workers can’t save money with the current minimum wage,” he said. “If you pay more, people will be able to save and spend more, so it’s good for the economy if the increase passes.”

If the ordinance is passed, the first phase of the plan would be implemented Nov. 1 and would require businesses to increase their minimum wage at least 95 cents from the current rate of $7.25.

Neuzil said he thinks the proposal is moving a little too fast.

“I think I would be much more comfortable if we slowed this down and implemented it over a longer period of time,” he said. “I have concerns about enforcement. If we do these things too fast, it will have too much impact. Ultimately, this is about addressing something that federal and state folks have not done so the county says, ‘We will address it.’ ”

Neuzil said too much of an increase could be detrimental to the business community.

“Keeping the wage around $10 would have a highly positive impact for the community,” he said. “I think there are several people confused between a minimum wage and a living wage, and we’re talking about minimum wage here. I think once we get above $10, it will have detrimental impact on several area businesses.”