A semester in (p)review

University of Iowa classes will start up in just a few short weeks. With the onslaught of students making their way back to Iowa City, the arts and culture scene heats up. Instead of reviewing a summer of events, The Daily Iowan staff is previewing what will surely be some of the best weekend events during the fall semester.

Iowa Soul Festival, Aug. 28-Aug. 30

The festival is among the slew of festivals Iowa City hosts each year. There’s freshly cooked food with an ambiance and sweet and smooth music. It’s an infectious weekend that celebrates African and African-American music, dance, art, and food. Last year, the festival featured UI alumnus Al Jarreau, and it will feature much talent this year.

The lineup announced earlier this summer includes the Dream Divas of Iowa City, Jon Cleary & the Absolute Monster, Sharon Jones, and the Dap-Kings, among many others.

It’s a celebration of culture, food, and people. And it’s a good time.

CHVRCHES, Oct. 9

CHVRCHES will come to the UI courtesy of a partnership between SCOPE and Homecoming. The band will headline the free concert after the parade.

SCOPE has brought many other concert to campus, including Cherub and Neutral Milk Hotel. This will be its latest addition to its résumé.  The Scottish-electric band formed in 2011 and will release its latest album in September.

Night football games are back, Sept. 19, Nov. 14

It’s been awhile.

In fact, the last night football game in Kinnick Stadium occurred in 2012. So, for the seniors, it occurred during their freshman year. It’s an itch fans have been waiting to scratch, and the scheduling stars have aligned. Both games will take place at 7 p.m. The first in September will pit the Hawks against Pitt, and Iowa will take on Minnesota in November.

Even if you aren’t huge sports fan, the night games are an experience all students should have. The atmosphere of Kinnick after dark is electrifying.