Walker announces presidential bid

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker formally entered the race for the GOP presidential nomination Monday. He is the 15th Republican hopeful to formally declare his intentions.

Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, received considerable attention for his speech at Iowa Rep. Steve King’s Freedom Summit in January. Since then, national media have treated the 47-year-old as the perceived “front-runner” — especially in Iowa, the home of the first-in-the-nation caucuses.

Walker held an announcement rally in Waukesha, Wisconsin, — around 20 miles away from Milwaukee — where he outlined what he’s done as governor in Wisconsin and what he plans to do as president, including repealing the Affordable Care Act, stop the nuclear deal with Iran, acknowledge Israel as an ally, and to eliminate Common Core.

“My record shows that I know how to fight and win,” he said in speech at Waukesha. “Now, more than ever, we need a president who will fight and win for America.”

Although many of his fellow contenders are in a statistical dead heat in Iowa, at the moment, Walker has a slight lead. Take Quinnipiac University’s latest poll, in which 18 percent of likely Republican caucus attendees said they would support the governor if the caucuses where held today. With a 3.8 percent margin of error, Walker’s lead among the 666 respondents in the late June poll puts him ahead of the large field.

But past cycles, including the 2012 caucuses, illustrate it is far too early to put in any faith into polling.

Despite this surge of support, Walker has visited Iowa far fewer times than a handful of other candidates. Advisers to the governor’s campaign vow this will change. On that note, Walker has a three-day tour scheduled after his announcement, including stops in Davenport, Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Cedar Falls, and more.

— by Brent Griffiths