Weepies return to home

The Weepies returned to Iowa City on Wednesday night for a concert at the Englert Theater after recording its first full-length album in five years. The band performed at 9 p.m. and donated portions of the ticket sales to the theater to support local arts organizations. The two-person group is on tour to promote its album Sirens, which came out earlier this year.

The Weepies, composed of husband and wife Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, is known around Iowa City for its indie music. But it is an national act, having sold more than 1 million records.

The couple have a musical and romantic history. According to their website, the two began writing together the first night they met. They now have three children and five records.

Talan was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in December 2013. By January 2014, she was undergoing chemotherapy. In 2014, she was declared cancer-free, and the duo started recording again. The latest album consists of 16 songs. Because they couldn’t travel while Talan was receiving treatment, they worked in their home and had guests record wherever they happened to be.

Talan continued to record during her chemotherapy.

“No one song could capture that year,” Tannen says on the Weepie’s website. “Sixteen seems like a lot to release at once, but each song reflects a different angle of that long, suspended moment. They hang together like a bunch of photographs from a certain time. It was intense, but there was beauty and inspiration, too. Deb made it back. And we’re still here.”