Christie is running for president

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is “now ready to fight for the people of the United States of America” as he opened his 2016 presidential campaign on Tuesday.

Christie, who made his announcement in Livingston, New Jersey, at his high-school alma mater, has been governor of the state since 2010.

“America is tired of hand-wringing and indecisiveness and weakness in the Oval Office,” he said. “We need to have strength and decision-making and authority back in the Oval Office. And that is why today I am proud to announce my candidacy for the Republican nomination for president of the United States of America.”

The once-popular Republican is looking to make a comeback after he dropped in polls following New Jersey’s lagging economy and a scandal — popularized as “Bridgegate” — in which two of the three traffic lanes in Fort Lee, New Jersey, were closed on orders from Christie staffers. The closed lanes, which were usually open to access the George Washington Bridge and New York City, caused massive traffic back-ups for about five days.

Christie, 52, has spent a lot of time in Iowa and has become friendly with Gov. Terry Branstad, but he must still compete with 13 other candidates for Iowa’s heart and political power.

Christie has yet to schedule any visits to Iowa following his presidential announcement; he was last in the state in June. He flew to New Hampshire where the first primaries are held following his announcement.

— by Rebecca Morin