Old Hawk Shop is empty, UI QuickCare expanding in mall

The Old Capitol Town Center is a little emptier this summer because of the move of the Iowa Hawk Shop and Tech Connection to their new home in the IMU ground floor.

The Hawk Shop and bookstore moved to the Old Capitol Town Center after its original IMU location was flooded in June 2008.

After nearly seven years’ of reconstruction, the University of Iowa reopened the Iowa Hawk Shop in the IMU on June 3.

“The lower level of the IMU has been fully recovered from the flood of 2008,” said Hawk Shop Director Richard Shannon. “The bookstore and Iowa Hawk Shop returned to their locations in IMU earlier in the summer.”

The space in the Old Capitol mall was intended to be a temporary location for the Hawk Shop, he said.

“The long-term goal was always to get us back to the Union,” he said.

Kevin Digmann, the general manager of the Old Capitol Town Center, said the area of Iowa Hawk Shop is approximately 8,000 square feet, so it could have many possible uses.

There are currently several businesses looking at the available space in the mall, including the UI, he said.

“We’re thinking of potential use for those spaces currently so there is no confirmed plan yet,” UI spokesman Tom Moore said. “We are likely to have firm plans by at least at the end of this summer.”

Though the Hawk Shop recently flew the coop, there are still many university services and offices located in the University Capitol Center.

The International Program and English as a Second Language Office, which provide advising services and help with culture shock to international students, are located in the center.

Located on the second floor is the university’s Information Technology Service, the Iowa Center for Enterprise, Offices for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, as well as a center for the College of Public Health.

As one university entity moves out of the center, another is expanding.

UI QuickCare, which is located on the first floor of the mall, will expand across the hallway into an area next to Blick Art Store, Digmann said. Bank of the West previously occupied that space.

UI QuickCare was unable to be reached for comment on the construction in the center for this article.