Iowa officials, presidential candidates talk Supreme Court ruling

Iowa’s Congressional delegation

Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa

“Iowans are no strangers to being on the forefront of fighting for greater civil rights. That is why I am thrilled that the Supreme Court today struck down state laws that discriminate against gay and lesbian couples, effectively legalizing marriage between two people of the same sex nationwide.”

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa

“I am disappointed by the Supreme Court’s decision and its failure to recognize the freedom of our states to make their own decisions about their respective marriage laws. While it is my personal belief that marriage is between one man and one woman, I maintain that this is an issue best handled at the state level.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa

“I believe marriage is between one man and one woman … Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision, everyone deserves to be treated with respect, and nobody should have their deeply held religious beliefs trampled by their government.”

Iowa political parties

Iowa GOP Chairman Jeff Kaufmann

“We believe, and still believe, that marriage is between one man and one woman. The Supreme Court’s decision changed law by fiat and unfortunately continued this court’s history of legislating from the bench.”

Iowa Democratic Party Chairwoman Andy McGuire

“Iowa was one of the first states to recognize marriage equality, and I’m thrilled that now same-sex couples in all 50 states will be able to celebrate their love and receive their deserved equal rights and protections under the law.“

Iowa organizations

Donna Red Wing, executive director of One Iowa

“This is an historic marriage-equality case. It is an enormous victory and a joyous day for loving, married couples and their families across this nation… The Supreme Court recognized the validity of our families by allowing them to fully share in the freedom to marry.”

The Family Leader

“The court did not so much redefine marriage as it worked to undefine it altogether, to separate the institution from its anchor in the “Laws of Nature and Nature’s God,” leaving future courts no legal basis for disqualifying any number of relationships from being called a ‘marriage.’”

GOP Presidential hopefuls

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush

“Guided by my faith, I believe in traditional marriage … I also believe that we should love our neighbor and respect others, including those making lifetime commitments. It is now crucial that as a country we protect religious freedom and the right of conscience and also not discriminate.”

Former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina

“The court ruled today that all Americans should receive equal benefits and rights from the government under the law. I have always supported this view. However, this decision was also about the definition of marriage itself. I do not agree that the court can or should redefine marriage.”

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee

“The Supreme Court has spoken with a very divided voice on something only the Supreme Being can do — redefine marriage … This irrational, unconstitutional rejection of the expressed will of the people in over 30 states will prove to be one of the court’s most disastrous decisions, and they have had many.”

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham

“… The Supreme Court has ruled that state bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional, and I will respect the court’s decision … Rather than pursing a divisive effort that would be doomed to fail, I am committing myself to ensuring the protection of religious liberties of all Americans.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal

“The Supreme Court decision today conveniently and not surprisingly follows public-opinion polls and tramples on states’ rights that were once protected by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution … This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty.”

Ben Carson

“While I strongly disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision, its ruling is now the law of the land. I call on Congress to make sure deeply held religious views are respected and protected. The government must never force Christians to violate their religious beliefs.”

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry

“I am disappointed the Supreme Court today chose to change the centuries-old definition of marriage as between one man and one woman. Our Founding Fathers did not intend for the judicial branch to legislate from the bench, and as president, I would appoint strict constitutional conservatives who will apply the law as written.”

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio

“People who disagree with the traditional definition of marriage have the right to change their state laws. That is the right of our people, not the right of the unelected judges or justices of the Supreme Court … While I disagree with this decision, we live in a republic and must abide by the law.”

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum

“Today, five unelected justices decided to redefine the foundational unit that binds together our society without public debate or input. Now is the people’s opportunity respond because the future of the institution of marriage is too important to not have a public debate.”

Democratic presidential hopefuls

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

“Along with millions of Americans, I am celebrating today’s landmark victory for marriage equality, and the generations of advocates and activists who fought to make it possible … Our work won’t be finished until every American can not only marry, but live, work, pray, learn, and raise a family free from discrimination and prejudice.”

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley

“Today, the Supreme Court affirmed that marriage is a human right — not a state right. I’m grateful to the people of Maryland for leading the way on this important issue of human dignity and equality under the law. The American Dream is the strongest when all are included.”

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders

“Today, the Supreme Court fulfilled the words engraved upon its building: ‘Equal justice under law.’ This decision is a victory for same-sex couples across our country as well as all those seeking to live in a nation where every citizen is afforded equal rights.”