University of Iowa Tippie School offers new summer program

This summer, some high-school students are getting a firsthand taste of college.

The University of Iowa Tippie College of Business is hosting a new event this summer called the Tippie Gateway Program, which educates high-school juniors interested in pursuing business majors.

Tippie Gateway focuses on exposing these students to the different business degrees they could receive at the UI, as well as what they might be able to do with them in the future, said Wynn Tan, a resident program mentor.

Tan said the program aims to encourage students to pursue college and familiarizes them with the college experience, especially at Tippie.

“We want to encourage them that higher education is attainable and feasible for them,” she said.

Students were selected for the program after an application process that looked at GPA along with other academic elements.

Tan said the program is designed to give high-school students an idea of what college academic standards are like so they are able to better prepare themselves.

“We keep them busy all day long in attempt to simulate a week in the life of a college student,” said Mark Archibald, a UI assistant director of first-year experience. “We have them on campus, in classrooms, working in teams and staying in the Burge Residence Hall.”

On Monday, the first day of the program, the students acclimated themselves to campus, participated in a scavenger hunt as a team-building activity and a couple workshops, Archibald said.

The program is also designed to encourage first-generation students — who are traditionally underrepresented in the business school — to attend the school, he said.

“I think that one of the biggest things they are going to take away is they are going to know whether they feel like they are prepared or not,” UI resident mentor Alejandro Ortiz said. “I think they are going to get a good glimpse of [college life].”

The program also had a couple guest speakers talk to the students, including Rachel Kowbel, the Tippie associate director of recruiting and admissions.

The second day of the program consisted of the students participating in a business-evaluation project, in which they analyzed various local businesses in downtown Iowa City and presented the information they found to instructors the following day.

They will then receive feedback on their presentation from faculty, alumni, and current Tippie students.

Once given the feedback, the students present again on the fourth day to show how they have progressed in analyzing local businesses, Archibald said.

“Hopefully, we will be able to continue this in future years,” Tan said. “[The directors] really want this to be a prestigious program for high-school students.”