Seven Hawkeyes earn all-American honors

Iowa track and field capped its season off strong at the NCAA Championships this past weekend in Eugene, Oregon, with seven members earning All-American honors.

The group was led by Aaron Mallett, the lone Hawkeye to be recognized with first-team distinction. The sophomore broke his Iowa record in the 110-meter hurdles, finishing in fifth place with a time of 13.40 after setting the mark at the Big Ten Championships on May 17.

“I am extremely proud of Aaron and how far he has come in one year,” program director Joey Woody said in a release. “It’s hard to believe he only finished sixth at the Big Ten outdoor meet a year ago and now he is top five in the nation.”

Aside from individual accolades, Mallett also set the second leg in Iowa’s 400-meter relay team on June 10, which finished 12th.

Vinnie Saucer Jr., James Harrington, and Keith Brown rounded out the group, and its time of 39.67 was good enough for second-team honors. It was the third year in a row Iowa’s 400-meter relay team made it to the NCAA semifinals, finishing sixth in 2013 and 2014.

Mallett’s individual, record-breaking feat came on the June 12, the meet’s third day of competition, when senior Babatunde Amosu hoped to join him.

But despite a season in which Amosu won the Big Ten indoor and outdoor championships in the triple jump, he capped his Iowa career with a disappointing 22nd-place finish after entering as No. 16.

“I know this wasn’t the finish to Babatunde’s career that he wanted, but he leaves Iowa as a three-time Big Ten champion, and that’s something that can never be taken from him,” Woody said.

On June 11, sophomore Brittany Brown finished her season by placing 17th in the 200 meters with a time of 23.19. Brown’s run gave her honorable-mention honors, after making the second team and placing 11th in 2014.

Fellow sophomore Elexis Guster also received honorable mention recognition on June 11. The Atlanta native ran 53.70 in the 400 to finish in 21st, and reached the NCAA semifinals for the first time in her career. 

Guster won the Big Ten meet in the event in both 2014 and 2015, meaning she still two more years to build upon an impressive Hawkeye career. 

“Both women accomplished great things this year with school records and Big Ten championships,” Woody said in a release. “This will definitely motivate them both as they prepare for next season.”

Mitch Wolff grabbed second-team honors on June 10, the opening day of the championships. The junior finished 16th in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 51.38.

“I’m very proud of what Mitch has accomplished this season,” Woody said in a release. “He remained 100 percent dedicated this whole season and developed into one of the best 400 hurdlers in the country.”