Iowa to host Florida State

After defeating North Carolina on the road in last season’s Big Ten/ACC, the Iowa men’s basketball team is scheduled to host Florida State as part of this year’s Big Ten/ACC challenge on Dec. 2 in Carver-Hawkeye.

Tipoff time and TV information have yet to be determined.

The contest will mark Florida State’s and Iowa’s third meeting. The Hawkeyes beat the Seminoles, 102-98, in the first round of the 1988 NCAA Tournament. However, in the 2002 Big Ten/ACC Challenge, Florida State downed the Hawkeyes, 80-67, in Tallahassee, Florida.

“We’re excited to have the opportunity to host Florida State, an extremely talented and skilled basketball team, in this year’s Big Ten/ACC Challenge,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said.

“Leonard Hamilton has created a winning culture at Florida State and returns nearly its entire roster from last year. This will be another good test for our basketball team and believe it will be an exciting game for our students and fans to experience at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.”

Coming off its first NCAA Tournament win and a 22-12 (12-6 Big Ten) record under McCaffery last year, the Hawkeyes return Jarrod Uthoff — the team’s second leading scorer and rebounder behind graduating Aaron White — and Mike Gesell, who led the team with 4 assists per game last year.

The last time the Hawkeyes played a Big Ten/ACC Challenge game in Carver was in 2013. McCaffery and Company bested Notre Dame, 98-93.