Domby reopens

A local women’s clothing store moved to a new location after more than two decades.

Domby — previously located at 218 E. Washington St. for 22 years — is now situated at 213 N. Linn St. Domby moved into the space in less than a month ago.

“We wanted to move because we wanted to offer some more conveniences to our customers, and I also wanted a new modern space,” said Valerie Chittick, the owner of Domby.

After Chittick’s lease in the previous building ended, she found a space that embodied everything she was looking for.

“I had a long-term 10-year lease,” Chittick said. “I had been looking toward the end of the lease, and I was thinking about changes I could make when it was up.”

Chittick said she didn’t really want to relocate to Coralville. Although she believes Coralville is certainly an important part of the community, she believes that Iowa City represented her business and customers.

“I discovered that this building was been built, and I thought it might be the perfect opportunity to still be in a location that represents the history of the community and also the historic things about Iowa City that makes up the fiber of the community,” she said.

Chittick believes that this new location will provide her customers the opportunity to discover the different places available if they already haven’t.

“I think that our store blends into the neighborhood really nicely, and I think that our customers will enjoy the surrounding businesses, the wine bar next door, RSVP, and certainly all the restaurants in this area,” said Chittick.

Customers seem to be happy about the location and the reopening of the store.

“I’m very excited about it’s opening,” Iowa City resident Kineret Zabner said. “We were counting the days for it to open. I think [the location] is very beautiful.”

“I was a customer since the first store in the beginning when she still had brown paper on her windows,” said resident Claudia Corwin, who has been a customer for the shop’s entire existence.

“I walked in about 22 years ago. She had a certain shoe brand, and since then I have been hooked.”

Chittick said the move to the North Side has allowed some breathing room — for example, dedicated parking.

“We have provided our customers with designated parking,” Chittick said. “I think this will be more convenient.”

The store contains brands from the old store and some new brands.

“We carried brands that we had in our old store, but we have also included new brands,” Chittick said. “This is something we’ll always continue to do.”

Also included in the store is a wet bar that will provide water or tea for customers.

“It’s those little things that make a difference,” Chittick said.