Draft a unique experience for Logic, Bluder

Iowa senior Sam Logic’s experience at the WNBA draft last week was a unique and eye-opening experience, both for her and Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder.

Bluder, who attended the draft in Connecticut with Logic and her family on April 16, got a firsthand look at the journey of the highest-drafted player she ever coach as a member of the Hawkeyes. The Atlanta Dream took Logic with the No. 10 overall pick in the draft. Logic was one of two players from the Big Ten taken in the first round — former Minnesota Golden Gopher Amanda Zahui B. was taken by the Tulsa Shock with the second pick.

“It was a lot of fun,” Bluder said. “It exceeded my expectations. To be a part of the drama of waiting to hear her name called and experience all the pageantry that goes along with it was really exciting.”

As a member of the Dream, Logic will begin her pro career shortly after graduating on May 16. Atlanta is scheduled to take on the New York Liberty on June 5 at Madison Square Garden to open the season.

The Racine, Wisconsin, native was a projected top-10 pick, and while she was confident someone would take a chance on her, actually hearing her name called was a “huge relief.”

“It was a lot of relief,” Logic said. “I got some nerves a little bit toward the end of that first round, but just the confidence that your name is going to be called at some point because the committee decided that you were going to be there, but it was a relief to finally hear it.”

The success of Logic is rewarding for Bluder as well, both as a mentor to her point guard for four years as well as a coach and recruiter for Iowa basketball.

“It’s big,” Bluder said. “Now, when we go into a top player’s house, we can give her a direct example of success and show her that you can have that dream come true at Iowa.”