Woman suing UI signs book deal

After striking a book deal, some new facts could come in the case of Teresa Wagner, who alleges the University of Iowa College of Law discriminated against her because of conservative political beliefs.

Wagner signed the deal with Encounter Books, her lawyer Steve Fieweger said.

He told the Associated Press the reason she’s writing the book is to tell her side of the story.

“She’s a writer and she wanted to put forth what her thoughts were,” he said.

In the past Encounter Books has published conservative authors, and according to their website they are a non-profit, tax-exempt organization that wants to strengthen the marketplace of ideas.

Previously the U.S. Supreme Court blocked a request from the UI to stop the new trial on the grounds that the judge had made a mistake in dismissing the jury early at the end of the first trial.  

Wagner originally mentioned the book last month when she gave a speech at the Family Research Council, who describe themselves as a pro-life and pro-marriage organization according to their website.

To those who attended the speech, she made a copy of her unedited manuscript available, but urged them to purchase it after publication, according to AP.

Wagner mentioned the book would discuss the problems she suffered while pursuing the lawsuit, the lawsuit itself, and why law schools aren’t serving students as they should.

After the speech and book deal, Assistant Iowa Attorney General George Carroll, who is representing the UI, filed a motion that stated “defendants were not aware of Ms. Wagner’s proposed book or book contract until they learned of her talk…,” according to online court documents.

The motion states the defendants, the UI, would like to re-open discovery and obtain some of the documents related to the book.

In a later filing, the defense said they were seeking the book contract, drafts of the book, recordings of Wagner at the Family Research Council, and other documents related to the book and speech.

The defense’s response, filed by Fieweger, stated, “the discovery will not add any new facts that have not been already exhaustively explored.”

U.S. Magistrate Judge Helen Adams ruled the case’s discovery has been re-opened until May 20.

“This case has a long history,” she said in the order filed on April 8, according ton online court documents. “…To the extent any new facts may be found in the documents and presentation materials which contradict statements plaintiff has previously made, defendants are entitled to discover them.”

With what Adams called good cause, the motion was only granted in part, limiting the scope and timeline of the new discovery period.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.