Staff Council ponders tweaking hiring process

The time to find new employees could soon be faster.

The University of Iowa Staff Council discussed the implementation of a new search process at its meeting Wednesday.

Implementing business case TIER HR-10, part of the state Board of Regents’ efficiency study, intends to create a clear policy to improve professional and scientific search committee size and structure.

Some of the few challenges currently facing such search committees include a large time commitment, slow hiring process, and an average hiring time of 83 days, among others.

The expected new search committee is expected to reduce time to hire. As at now there is no target average number of days set for the hiring process, but it is expected to be lower than it currently is.

In reducing the hiring time, a new worker will be appointed to share the search process workload, which could reduce the time invested in serving on search committees and also provide applicants with knowledge of the hiring decision sooner.

Also, trained human-resource-representative involvement will be designed to speed the search process, provide supervisor assistance, and assure a consistent and fair process.

Officials expect the new plan will attract more people to apply as staff at the university as well as lower the workload on existing staff.

— by Efe Ayanruoh