UISG election guide

BEACH Party

The BEACH party, which stands for Bettering, Educating, Advocating, Changing our Home, aims to take control of UISG. It has a ticket of 39 senators. Sam Wampler and Kolton Dahms are running for president and vice president, respectively.

Senators:

BEACH — Bettering, Educating, Advocating, Changing our Home

Student Safety — The party platform focuses on sexual-assault-awareness campaigns, prevention training as well as resources, including an expanded Nite Ride, for students. The party would also target low-level aggression to promote an antiviolence environment.

Student Health and Wellness — The goal is to provide education to students on mental-health issues as well remove the negative stigma associated with mental health by creating a central resource for students to access information. The party wants to reward students who take a yearlong pledge to become healthier.

Diversity — By advocating on behalf of diversity education, expanded orientation for international students, and holding multicultural forums, the BEACH Party aims to have a relatable student government. The BEACH Party also would like to continue to advocate for Diversity Inclusion Education as a general-education requirement.

Sustainability — Building a relationship with the city of Iowa City to promote recycling bins downtown, bringing a bike-share to campus, and advocating for the reduction of plastic-bag use.

Student Life — This section of the platform aims to advocate for another tuition freeze, create an “Iowa Kick-starter,” a new renters’ guide for students, expanded financial literacy, as well as other programs. The goal of adding these is to encourage entrepreneurial endeavors at the UI.

REAL Party

The REAL Party — Responsible, Empowering, Acessible, Leadership — is vying for control of UISG. It has a ticket of 39 senators. Liz Mills and Morgan Brittain are running for president and vice president, respectively.

Senators:

Student Life — The party advocates allowing use of student IDs for parking and at restaurants, engaging the administration to review controlled-substances policies, extending university café hours, and pushing several diversity-driven initiatives (such as creating an international programming email list and make gender-neutral bathrooms easier to find).

Safety — Expand bus routes to include East Side fraternities and sororities, make Nite Ride available to everyone, push for a sidewalk connecting the Studio Arts Building to Walmart, and push for public intoxication to be classified as a civil infraction.

Academics — Create academic credit for volunteering, make Hawkmail addresses permanent, have online transcripts be free, expand “dead week” prior to finals examination, and allow 24/7 access to major university buildings.

Sustainability – REAL wants to establish a pilot composing program, with public bins across campus, as well as work with the city to put universal off-campus recycling in place.

Administration – REAL wants to broadcast UISG meetings and publish more documents online, including budgets, attendance records, and salaries. They also want to mandate cultural competency training for UISG members and work closely with Hawkeye Caucus.