Men’s tennis splits matches

For the second weekend in a row, the No. 68 Iowa men’s tennis team (11-6, 3-3) split a pair of Big Ten matches.

On April 3, the Hawkeyes took on Purdue (4-14, 0-6) in West Lafayette, Indiana, and came out with a convincing 4-1 victory.

The win moved Iowa to 3-2 in the Big Ten, the second time in the early conference season the team has been above .500.

Iowa won the doubles point for the second-straight match, registering wins from senior Matt Hagan and freshman Jake Jacoby at No. 2 and junior Dom Patrick and freshman Josh Silverstein at No. 3.

Hagan picked up a win at No. 1 singles for the Hawkeyes. Freshmen Stieg Martens and Jacoby picked up wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, to seal the match for Iowa.

The Hawkeyes traveled to Bloomington on Sunday in a match against No. 44 Indiana (14-8, 3-3).

Following the same script as the weekend before, Iowa dropped the Sunday matchup to drop the team to even in the Big Ten.

The Hawkeyes again won the doubles point with wins coming from No. 2 and No. 3 as they did against Purdue, but they could not pick up enough wins in the singles portion to tally a victory against the Hoosiers.

Hagan, Silverstein, and Martens dropped their matches in straight sets for Iowa, while Patrick lost his match in three sets.

Although the Hawkeyes could not pick up the victory on Sunday, the team has seemed to finally find a doubles lineup that can have success.

A consistent lineup could help Iowa win more matches.

—by Blake Dowson