Iowa set to host Nebraska

After going 1-2 in a series during this past weekend with Maryland, the softball Hawkeyes will try to put several painful losses behind them when 19-15 Nebraska comes to Pearl Field today for a double-header.

Iowa (10-22) lost the first game of the series after coughing up a 10-run lead, won the second game, then were run-ruled in the rubber match of the series.

“Not the way we wanted to start out conference,” junior Erin Erickson said. “We can’t let this weekend affect our progress and our thoughts going into Tuesday’s matchup with Nebraska.”

The Huskers come into the game with a 3-0 record in conference play after sweeping Michigan State last weekend, putting up 36 runs in the process.

That’s bad news for the Hawkeyes. Those 36 runs are a substantial, and Nebraska has one of the most prolific offenses in the Big Ten and leads the conference in batting average. Nebraska also comes into this game fairly hot, winning eight of its last 10.

Even worse, Iowa has struggled mightily on defense this season. The Hawks have allowed 217 runs this season and have posted a team ERA of 6.94, both last in the Big Ten.

It’s a short turnaround for Iowa from the weekend, but with how short the Big Ten schedule has to be, they’ll have to refocus quickly as another quality opponent comes into Iowa City.

The first game will begin at 4 p.m., with the second game of the double-header starting immediately afterward.

Follow @JordyHansen for news, updates, and analysis of the Iowa softball team.