Hawkeyes gauge talent at first outdoor meet of the season

The Iowa track and field team started its outdoor season with a bang at the Baldy Castillo Invitational March 20-21. Both the men’»s and women’s teams finished in the top five, taking fourth and fifth, respectively.

In addition to the solid team finishes, the Hawkeyes also notched nine top-three event finishes, including five firsts.

Finishing in the top spot were Aaron Mallett in the 110-meter hurdles, James Harrington in the 200 meters, MonTayla Holder in the 400-meter hurdles, Gabe Hull in the discus, and the quartet of Elexis Guster, Brittany Brown, Holder, and Lake Kwaza in the 1,600-meter relay.

“We put up some great performances that will rank pretty high in the Big Ten at this time of the year and even nationally,” Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said. “We feel confident that we have a few athletes that have hit what will be able to qualify for the first round of the NCAA championships

Among those nationally ranked are Mallett and Harrington. Mallett’s personal-best time of 13.85 ranks first in the Big Ten and third nationally. Harrington also sits at the top of the Big Ten and sixth nationally with his personal best time of 20.98.

The Hawkeyes faced a high level of competition in Tempe, Arizona, including five nationally ranked teams – both the men and women of Arizona State and Texas A&M, as well as the Iowa State men’s team.

“We saw Texas A&M, Arizona State, a lot of nationally ranked programs were there. It gives us a good gauge of where we’re at, preparing for the best programs not only in the Big Ten but also nationally,” Woody said. “It was a good start to the season and a great way to prepare for Stanford and Florida.”

Follow @cbomb12 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa track and filed teams.