Hawkeyes dressed to the nines

A quick peek at the box score from Iowa’s victory over AIB on Wednesday afternoon tells the tale of a unique victory for the Hawkeyes.

Taking advantage of the first solid stretch of spring weather this year, Heller and the Hawks got their money’s worth against the Eagles, using nine different pitchers en route to a 7-1 victory.

Anxious to get all his arms into game-day situations, Heller liked what he saw from his pitching staff Wednesday.

“I just wanted to get those guys out there who hadn’t pitched yet,” Heller said. “When we get on to those long stretches, we’re going to need those guys, so I just wanted to at least get their feet wet today.”

Changing hurlers every inning, Heller’s revolving door of pitchers carried the day for Iowa, giving up just 2 hits and 1 run among the nine who took the mound.

Add in a 10-hit offensive explosion from the Iowa lineup, and there was quite a bit to like from the Hawkeyes in home-opener.

“A couple guys had their first college outing today,” Heller said. “I was really happy to see those guys step out there and throw strikes with confidence. For guys such as [Nick] Allgeyer and [Nick] Gallagher, I was really happy for them to see them perform the way they did.”

Redshirt sophomore Josh Martsching got things started off early for the Hawks, allowing 1 hit and stranding one runner in the first.

“For the most part, we knew what our jobs we’re going to be today,” Martsching said. “For me, it was a lot easier starting and not having to worry about saving my pitches. I could just go out there and throw strikes.”

And while a spell of sloppy fielding early on from the Iowa infield threatened to derail the effort before it could get off the ground, the pitching held steady.

“[The pitching] was outstanding,” catcher Austin Guzzo said. “Especially Josh coming in and being exceptional early really helped us. We made a couple of errors, but he just kept it rolling and did his job.”

The trio of Jared Mandel, Gallagher, and Allgeyer faced the next 11 batters without giving up a hit, and the Hawkeyes led, 6-0, through four innings.

All in all, every Hawkeye pitcher finished his inning without incident, with an unearned run given up by junior Daniel Moriel the lone blemish on the score sheet.

A team deep in pitching, the Hawk`s soundly defeated the Eagles without having to tap into their normal rotation of Tyler Peyton, Blake Hickman, and Calvin Matthews.

That rest could prove invaluable this weekend, when the Hawks head south to take part in seven games over spring break.

“Everybody else that came out of the pen knew he had to do his job, whether it was three outs or six outs,” Guzzo said. “ Especially I know guys like Allgeyer and Gallagher that have been itching to get out here and throw, and they took care of business.”

Follow @Ryanarod for news, analysis and updates from the Iowa baseball team.