Regents meeting agenda released

Officials to present three-year degrees

Provost Barry Butler and Associate Provost Lon Moeller plan to present the University of Iowa’s new Degree in Three program to the state Board of Regents at a March 11 meeting in Iowa City.

Students in six majors —communication studies, English, history, international studies, marketing, and theater — will qualify for the program, which would start in the fall.

Students would be required to meet course requirements on a strict timeline and according to their respective Degree in Three plans.

Students seeking out a second major, minor, or certificate or those who are required to take more than two years of English as a Second Language are ineligible for the Degree in Three.

UI to propose new heat and power facility

The regents will hear the University of Iowa’s plans to construct a combined heat and power facility in its West Campus Energy Plant project on March 11.

The project has an estimated cost of $75 million funded through utility system revenue bonds.

The utility services would supplement those already provided through the Power Plant but would be located outside the Iowa River floodplain near the Finkbine  commuter lot.

Regents to discuss new residence hall

The regents could approve the design, project, and budget of the proposed Madison Street residence hall on March 11.

The proposed budget is $95 million.

The residence hall would cost approximately $85 million and would be located at the site of Iowa City’s old water plant. It would be 12 stories high and house approximately 1,000 residents.

Estimated costs for its dining-services area, which would serve around 2,000 students, are $10 million.

Both would be funded through dormitory revenue bonds.

— by Carly Matthew