West Campus dorms spend Sunday without water

Early Sunday morning, water flowing to West Campus dormitories was cut off after an issue was discovered with a water line.

According to a Slater Residence Hall notice posted in the building, “Overnight, there was a water main break outside of Slater. Facilities has shut off the water to the building.”

Officials say a more permanent fix will take place in the coming weeks. The issue was discovered overnight, but the initial cause was unknown.

With the halls not having any remaining water, residents of Slater, Rienow, and Quadrangle Hall were forced to go to Hillcrest, the only dorm on the west side of campus with running water.

As of Sunday evening, the three halls had a temporary supply of water, supplying showers, sinks, and water fountains, Matthew DiCicco, the Slater coordinator said.

Slater’s water supply was cut at approximately 7:30 a.m., but Facilities Management workers installed a temporary fix by 3 p.m., allowing water back into the residence halls.

Facilities Management employees worked Sunday to dig a large hole on Slater’s east lawn that was covered up by 2 p.m.

Inside Slater, residents found the doors to their communal bathrooms shut — albeit still unlocked — and reported toilets unable to flush properly. In-room sinks produced a very limited flow of water, and water fountains in the hallways were also shut off.

Rienow’s water supply was cut off sometime between 10 a.m. and 10:40 a.m., University of Iowa freshman and Rienow resident Nick Groenke said. 

Quadrangle’s water supply was cut off at approximately 11:30 a.m.

Many Slater residents, such as Ariel Mobley, were left confused by the impact that would be seen if they did not adhere to the notice’s suggestion.

“When I woke up, [the water] was shut off and I had to find somewhere to shower. I had to go to my uncle’s house to shower and brush my teeth, since my sink wasn’t working.” Mobley said.