New app tracks Greek life studying

Previously, the process of logging study hours for those in greek life was tedious, but now, there’s an app for that.

My Greek Study is an application that uses GPS location to monitor members of sororities and fraternities during study hours.

The way the app works is by detecting the members’ locations, and if they match the designated study locations, members can start timers for the required hours.

At the University of Iowa, Alpha Phi, Delta Upsilon, Phi Gamma Delta, and Delta Chi use the application.

Prior to My Greek Study, greek members would have to manually log their hours.

“We used to just have binders all over campus, but the app has eliminated that, so now I don’t have to go around campus and pick those up," Christina Lewis, the Alpha Phi director of academics, said.

Not only has the application increased efficiency for greek leaders, she said, it has also made it easier for members.

“We just had a poll taken asking whether the app was effective, and more than half of [members] said yes, and the other half were indifferent,” she said.

There was concerns raised by some members about whether the app’s GPS component was storing or tracking user information, but that has been put to rest.

In the early of the stages with the app, there were some problems, but they have been worked out, Alpha Phi member Andi Katz, said.

“My phone wouldn’t monitor where I was,” the freshman said. “It was saying that I was in the river when I was actually in the library. They’ve worked it out, however, and since then, it’s been working really well.”

My Greek Study app originated in the South and since has expanded to Iowa.

“We just started last August, and now we have almost 140 organizations using it,” said Trey McMeans, the founder and CEO of McMeans & Polk Applications, which developed the app. “It’s been a really large growth and nothing but positive feedback.”

The app has changed the way greek organizations have kept track of their hours, he said.

“It verifies that the member are inside the study location,” McMeans said. “They can’t just say they were [studying] for two hours and leave. It makes them stay in the location.”