City Council approves various measures

Police positions change

The Iowa City City Council approved changes in staff positions for the Iowa City police at its Tuesday meeting.

These changes reflect changing job requirements in the department, according to the council.

The police records supervisor and the police administrative secretary will be combined into one position titled “police administrative coordinator. records clerks.” In addition to the change, the senior records clerk will now share the new title of police records technician and have the same job requirements and responsibilities.

The city estimates the changes will save the City $81,208 annually.

City moves on Streetscape Project

The City Council approved a resolution Tuesday authorizing Genus Landscape Architects PC to provide consultant services necessary to enable the construction of the 2016 Washington Street and the North Pedestrian Mall portions of the Streetscape Planning Project.

These services include design development, construction documents, bid phase services, and construction administration services. The services also include development of a concept of an artwork to be located in Black Hawk Mini Park.

The cost of these services is not to exceed $501,234, according to the city.

Council OKs ‘shared rides’ again

The City Council voted 7-0 on Tuesday omn second consideration of a revision to the definition of a “shared ride” in Iowa City’s taxicab ordinance.

This amendment allows for passengers to get into the cab at different locations with consent and allows the driver or company to charge a fee for extra passengers.

Previously the ordinance allowed for “shared rides” only if the passengers had the same origin and prohibited the driver or company from charging a fee for the extra passengers.

Hearing set for plant demolition

The City Council has set a date for public discussion on the planned demolition project of the former wastewater-treatment plant, 1001 Kirkwood Ave.

The public hearing will take place on March 9 and will cover plans, specifications, contracts, and estimate of the cost for the demolition of the plant. The demolition is part of a multiphase flood-mitigation plan to move structures and public facilities from the path of repetitive flooding in Iowa City.

Council sets hearing on budget

The City Council will hold a public hearing on March 9 to discuss the proposed fiscal 2016 operating budget , the three-year financial plan for 2015-2017, and the multiyear capital improvements program through 2019.

Detailed information on the budget is currently available on the city’s website.

Hearing set on downtown signs

The City Council set a public hearing for March 9 on an ordinance amending food-sign regulations for downtown businesses. 

The Iowa City Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the amendment at its Feb. 5 meeting. 

The amendment would place certain conditions on where businesses can place portable signs on sidewalks in downtown Iowa City, as well as their heights and sizes.

— by Bill Cooney