Hawks lose valuable gymnasts to illness

Iowa’s women’s gymnastic team took a downward turn during its Feb. 7 meet against Nebraska, because of an illness going around on the team. 

The GymHawks had to change the lineup for the meet, which caused problems, some of which Iowa was able to overcome.

The vault team was thrown off by the change, and the Hawks finished fifth.  This was despite sophomores Angel Metcalf and Ashleigh Edlin scoring a 9.850 on the event.

“With the team lineup events being different, it was definitely a challenge for our team,” Metcalf said.

Even with this challenge, the team was able to shine in other events.

“The floor and beam team stepped up their game today,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “I was very proud of them, because it was a rough day.”

Top floor performer senior Sydney Hoerr placed fourth on floor with junior Alie Glover close behind.

“I made sure that going out to the meet today, I was mentally prepared and focused on doing the best I could do,” Glover said.

Glover usually does not participate in the floor exercise, so a score that closely followed Hoerr, was a proud moment for her and the team.

The team was also able to finish strong on the beam, posting a score of 49.100. Glover took second place on beam with a 9.875, and Metcalf trailed with a 9.85 — good enough for fourth.

The GymHawks were able to come out strong on beam and floor in the third rotation, which was surprising because the team was without some of their strongest gymnasts on the beam.

“With strong competition like Nebraska, and distractions like the illness going around the team, we have to stay positive and focus on the now and improving our skills and mental stability in order to stay on track,” Metcalf said.

Metcalf and Hoerr both competed in the all-around event for Iowa, finishing third and fourth, respectively.

The team was already going in with a different mindset than the other meets because of Nebraska ‘s high ranking and Iowa sneaking into the rankings at No. 20.

Going into a meet with a highly ranked opponent gave the Hawkeyes a challenge that they have not faced this season.

“I am extremely proud of them as they pushed through and didn’t give up against an awesome team like Nebraska,” Libby said.

The Hawkeyes hope to regain their strength and mentality for their next meet and make a strong comeback.

“In preparation for the next meet, we need to balance our lives in order to stay focused on improving our skills and not getting sick,” Hoerr said.