Hoerr and Glover spark GymHawks

This past weekend, the Iowa women’s gymnastics team was able to finally earn a win at home against Maryland.  

Senior Sydney Hoerr and junior Alie Glover shone with impressive scores that allowed the Hawkeyes to take the lead and win the meet.

“The strides that were made this meet, mentally and physically, made a great impact for us today,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “I am very pleased with their performance today and being able to come from behind while blocking everything out so we could pass the opponent.”

The team started off the meet behind the Terps in the vault but went on to take the lead even after Hoerr’s fall on bars.

Hoerr has broken two career-bests on bars this season while being the top scorer on bars for her team.  However, she landed the lowest score on the bars after the fall. 

“The fall somewhat fired me up for my events on beam and floor,” she said. “I was able to shake it off and continue on my mentality and the confidence I have in my skills and the skills of my teammates.”

Hoerr was able to post the best score on beam this season. She also led the team on floor with a 9.900 to win the floor title.

Through her demeanor and upbeat energy, Hoerr was able to score all around, posting a 38.600 from her events.

“I am extremely impressed with Hoerr’s ability to not only bounce back into a steady mindset, but also not showing her disappointment to her teammates and herself after her mistake on bars,” Libby said.

Glover was also able to recover from the mistakes and demonstrate leadership skills by focusing her energy into the events and cheering on her teammates.

“I always remind myself and my teammates that our mindset coming into meets is about mentality and confidence,” she said. “Beam is very challenging, and to be able to hit those big scores for your team is really awesome.”

Glover was able to start the team off with posting a score of 9.800 on vault.  Even with the Hawkeyes’ starting from behind, she was able to look past the score of the meet, as well as the mistakes that were being made, and win the title on beam.

Her score of a 9.875 was a season best.

Even with the win over the Terps, as well as notching personal titles, Hoerr and Glover are focused on the next meet. 

“We now need to focus on the details such as pointed toes, straight arms, and landings in order to earn those big points that will raise the score,” Glover said.

Upperclassmen Glover and Hoerr continue to keep the GymHawks focused on positive energy and confidence in their performances.

The GymHawks will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, on Saturday for a meet against Nebraska at 6 p.m.