Development in Dubuque Cottages court case

A civil battle stemming from the potential redevelopment of historic cottages in Iowa City has come to a quiet end, at least for now.

Will Ingles, the owner of the Book Shop, 608 S. Dubuque St., had filed a civil suit against cottage owner Ted Pacha to get an injunction against demolition and eviction from his cottage.

Ingles has resided in his cottage. One of the three cottages was demolished late last year.

The two parties reached a settlement Monday — one that will see Ingles having to vacate the property by March 15. 

Additionally, Ingles was ordered to cease communication with Pacha, according to online court documents.

One of Ingles’ lawyers, Christopher Warnock, said both parties were “as happy as they can be” with the results.

Pacha previously told The Daily Iowan he wants to demolish the cottage at 608 S. Dubuque St. as well as the cottage located at 610 S. Dubuque St. to develop the land.

Pacha has demolished the cottage at 614 S. Dubuque St., the former home of Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu.

During a December 2014 Iowa City City Council meeting, Pacha said he wanted to sell his land to secure his family’s financial future as he battles cancer.

In a counter brief submitted Jan. 20 and filed by the court Jan. 21, Pacha denied Ingles’s allegations against him — beyond basic, uncontroversial facts of the case — and contended Ingles has acted in bad faith and breached his rental agreement.

Pacha originally sought compensation for damages as well as legal costs related to the case.

The demolition has met opposition from occupants and the Friends of Historic Preservation, which is campaigning hard for the buildings to be protected as local landmarks, including starting the historic-landmark-application process.

The City Council recently delayed a vote to classify the cottages as historic landmarks until a further meeting. The measure would have to be voted on three times before they are considered historic landmarks.

The City Council would be able to vote three times at already scheduled meetings. According to the Iowa City website, the meetings are scheduled for Feb. 9, Feb. 23, and March 9.

Chris Higgins and Nick Moffitt contributed reporting to this story.