Hawkeyes earn victories at UCF Quad

The Iowa women’s tennis team began its 2015 season with the UCF Quad Tournament in Orlando, Florida, which began on Jan. 17 and ended Monday.

Seniors Ellen Silver, Shelby Talcott, Morven McCulloch, and Katie Zordani begin their final season as Hawkeyes, and they want to make it their best yet.

“Silver is really coming on; she had a good fall, probably her best fall ever, and she’s finally healthy,” head coach Katie Dougherty said in a release. “She’s done a really good job in practice and in the gym. Look for her to make an impact this year. I’m really pleased to see her healthy.”

The Hawkeyes’ opponents at the tournament included Central Florida, Florida International, and Illinois.

Iowa secured two singles victories and three doubles victories on Jan. 17.

Talcott earned one of the two singles wins, defeating Caroline Eberhart of Central Florida (3-6, 7-5, 6-0). Talcott also joined junior Annette Dohanics in doubles play to defeat Alexis Casati and Jerricka Boone of Illinois (6-3).

Zoe Douglas, who made her début as a Hawkeye, was ranked No. 8 in U18 singles in England and was ranked No. 1 in Cambridgeshire County before becoming a Hawkeye.

She earned the team’s second victory in singles play, defeating Central Florida’s Annika Hepp (6-1, 4-6, 6-1).

McCulloch and freshman Anastasia Reimchen teamed up to defeat Maddie Baillon and Melissa Kopinski of Illinois (7-5), and Silver and sophomore Aimee Tarun also collected a victory for the Hawkeyes in doubles play. The duo defeated the Illinois team of Emily Barretta and Jade Hilton (6-4).

The team earned a victory in doubles play on Sunday with the tandem of Douglas and Zordani ousting Valentina Briceno and Kaitlin Brozovich of Florida International (6-3).

The Hawkeyes closed out the tournament strongly as the team had four singles victories and two doubles victories on the final day.

Dohanics and Talcott earned the Hawkeyes a victory in doubles, defeating Central Florida’s Sofia Baptista and Cortney Cesarini (7-5).

“Across the board, we played our best tennis today, and we were much more confident on the deuce points,” Dougherty said in a release.

Talcott and Silver successfully ended the tournament with victories in singles. Talcott earned a victory against Florida International’s Yana Koroleva (6-4, 6-2). Silver defeated Grace Tapak of Illinois (6-4, 7-5).

Newcomer Douglas stayed strong and defeated Briceno of Florida International (6-4, 7-6, [0-4]).

Tarun also earned a singles win for the Hawkeyes, defeating Barretta of Illinois 3-6, 6-2, 10-4.

“This was a great tournament for us to get matches against good teams and help prepare us for the dual match season,” Dougherty said in a release. “I’m pleased with how the team came out today and battled, and we’re really looking forward to UNI in two weeks.”

Follow @joshhicks90 on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa women’s tennis team.