Regent resigns effective immediately

A member of the state Board of Regents resigned Thursday evening effective immediately, citing her family’s move.

“Given my family’s recent move out of state, I wish to make this announcement ahead of the next board meeting,” Regent Nicole Carroll said in a statement. “I want to thank everyone for the wonderful opportunity to serve on the Board of Regents. This is a highly dedicated board, and all of its members work tirelessly for Iowa and its public universities.”

Gov. Terry Branstad will nominate a new regent to the vacant seat. He or she would have to be confirmed by the state Senate on a two-thirds vote; the Legislature will convene in January.

“The governor has not set a timeline for naming a replacement,” Branstad spokesman Jimmy Centers said in an email.

Policy requires the nine-member board to have balance of political party and gender, according to various regent documents. As a result, Carroll’s replacement must be a woman and a registered Democrat or independent.

Regent Communications Director Sheila Koppin said the regents do not have any information on the governor’s plans.

The next regents’ meeting is scheduled for Dec. 3 via telephone.

Carroll was appointed in 2011 along with current Regent President Bruce Rastetter and President Pro Tem Katie Mulholland. Carroll’s term was set to expire April 30, 2017.

Carroll, an attorney, is from Carroll, Iowa, a town in the central western section of the state. She earned a bachelor’s degree from Iowa State University and a law degree from the University of Iowa. She also served 12 years on the Carroll School Board.

Her hometown is Story City in central Iowa.

“We appreciate Regent Carroll’s leadership and service on the Board of Regents,” Rastetter said in the statement. “We wish Nicole and her husband the very best in their future endeavors.”